Dating Smarts You Must Have
- First dating rule: Chemistry trumps all. Even if he talked too much about his hybrid car or had T-bone steak in his teeth the whole time, if his kiss made you melt, he gets a second date.
- On the flip side, we don't care if he's the hottest, richest, funniest, Orlando Bloomiest man ever. If smooching him gives you the creeps, cut your losses.
- After you finally hook up with a guy you found through online shaadikaroge.com in a coffee joint, it's fine to tell your friends "We met at a coffee joint." It's not even a lie (sort of)
- You get to be superficial. If he's wearing a fanny pack, feign an emergency and bail. (Hint: Say "It's a woman thing." He won't ask for details.)
- A Cosmo girl doesn't go out with her ex-boyfriend's work rival just so it'll get back to him and make him crazy. She does go out with his work rival though if she had a crush on him anyway.
- A man who makes every conversation lewd from the get-go isn't trying to seduce you, he's trying to shock you. Don't take the bait. Your job isn't to prove to him that you can be one of the guys; it's his job to be a gentleman.
- Any time a friend offers to set you up, make sure to ask her what she thinks you have in common with the guy -- besides that you're both single.
- Heads up: If he spends even part of the evening responding to work emails on his crackberry, he probably wouldn't make the most attentive boyfriend.
- Then again, if you spend even part of the evening on emails, don't expect him to call for a second date.
- Beware the boor who asks questions just so that he can give answers. Him: "What's the coolest place you've ever traveled to?" You: "Oh, probably Mex--" Him: "My favorites are Africa, London, Iceland, Costa Rica...."
- Lots of people are between jobs, but a guy who cites The Man as his reason for it may be in arrested development.
- If the next day you can't remember anything interesting or clever he said and you guys weren't drinking, you're probably not that into him.
- Maybe he's just being polite, but when a guy offers you a breath mint, always take it, just in case.
- Dating is supposed to be fun, not a chore. If you find yourself daydreaming middate about watching "Law and Order" reruns at home, give yourself a break.
- If you've had a good time, compliment his planning ("I loved playing air hockey!"). It subtly invites him to call for date two and gives him a chance to ask right then, if he's bold.
- Don't stress that first-kiss moment. Smile, say good-bye, and squeeze his hand, letting your fingers linger. He'll either make a move or he won't, and you'll get an awkwardness-free exit.
- Another sassy way to make him ache for date two: Casually comment on his good-night kiss, like "Mmm, you're good at that." He won't stop wondering what other talents of his you'll like.