How to Shop in a Ritzy Store
Intimidated by snotty sales people and chi chi boutiques? You can locate great finds and feel comfortable doing it, if you just know how.
Time Required: Varies
- Dress in your best daytime clothes, adding jewelry, swanky scarves, a logo bag or any other status items.
- Walk in the door with a purpose -- shoulders back, head held high.
- If you are lucky enough to be approached by a salesperson, don't brush them off with a "Just browsing." Rich folks demand lots of attention and get it.
- If you're not approached by a salesperson, be bold and ask for assistance.
- If you can't be discreet about looking for prices, wait until you get in the dressing room to check them out.
- Let the sales associate bring in other items if he or she suggests additional coordinates. They usually know what looks great on different body types.
- Ask about any alteration or delivery services.
- When you're ready to buy, make sure you use a credit card that has a high enough limit.
- Touch the garments and really "feel" the fabric like a connoisseur.
- Engage the sales associate in conversation and ask his or her opinion frequently.
- If you're not 100% sure how a designer label is pronounced, don't experiment here!